A year ago today, I was making sure that the last of our bags were packed, spending time with Tehya, making my homemade yeast rolls to freeze for her to eat while I was gone (so she could have a little bit of Momma's cooking!) and trying to not vomit from the knots in my stomach. You see, I was getting ready to leave my little hill and take Sage into unknown territory for what I knew would be months. I very clearly remember telling Richard to just hurry and get us out of the driveway, telling myself to not look back. I had worked for months to steel my nerves and my resolve and had been emotionally distancing myself from others. I would not, I WOULD NOT, fall apart, I would not cry. I reminded myself repeatedly during the months before and while it was all taking place, of the last words my Daddy said to me "Don't you ever forget who you are", in "Leon" terms that meant, "Girl, you are part me. And that means that there is a toughness in you that can do anything." Lord, he had no idea how much I would need and recall his words. I like to think he would have been proud of me, but I am glad he was not here. His old heart could not have taken seeing Sage having to go through it all. But with the Lords help, mercy, and giving of much, MUCH grace, we made it. We survived a long hospital stay, weeks and weeks of her treatment, and she survived a 7 and 1/2 hour surgery. She has been back already to have her rods lengthened and once again, with the Lords mercy and grace, all went perfectly well.
I can't say I am sorry to see 2012 go. I am praying for a much better 2013, in regards to many areas of my life. One of the last things I did before we left was leave a note for Tehya in her room. At the end of it, I wrote "This is a "Winter" in our lives, but don't forget, Spring always follows the coldest and worst of Winters". I hope that just like I remember my Daddy's words to me, she always remembers that. And I want to thank each and every one of you who had any part to play in helping my family get through one of the worst "Winters" we have had since Sage was born. Whether is was sending a card, cooking a meal, hauling Tehya to her games or school, or saying a quiet prayer for us...we couldn't have gotten through this past year without you! Now, here's to a muuuuch better 2013!!
I can't say I am sorry to see 2012 go. I am praying for a much better 2013, in regards to many areas of my life. One of the last things I did before we left was leave a note for Tehya in her room. At the end of it, I wrote "This is a "Winter" in our lives, but don't forget, Spring always follows the coldest and worst of Winters". I hope that just like I remember my Daddy's words to me, she always remembers that. And I want to thank each and every one of you who had any part to play in helping my family get through one of the worst "Winters" we have had since Sage was born. Whether is was sending a card, cooking a meal, hauling Tehya to her games or school, or saying a quiet prayer for us...we couldn't have gotten through this past year without you! Now, here's to a muuuuch better 2013!!
No comments:
Post a Comment